Introduce yourself here! In order to avoid spam, new users must first comment on the discussion in the 'Introductions' before they become 'full members'
Forums, File Hosting: Change?
  • Hi guys,

How you might have noticed we've been under spam attack for a while. It is so much of a problem, that, because I lack time to spend on this forums, I was considering the hypothesis to move to a (free!) hosted forum solution. However, usually free forum hosting solutions are either ad-ridden or inconvenient to use. 

I never liked SourceForge's own forums. We could move to Google Groups, but I don't really fancy those, either.

Moreover, as you probably have noticed, although not dead, the FlatPress project has moved to a "mostly-maintenance" mode. I was thinking about moving the whole project to GitHub or BitBucket to ease code contribution for new people. Unfortunately, these services do not really provide forum hosting. They do have a nice ticketing system, though.

As for the wiki, the theme section should disallow file hosting. I think nowadays people have plenty of choices when it comes to host their files (e.g. DropBox)

Finally, our current deal with A2 is coming to an end, so I'm trying to see if we can extend the duration of our deal or I'll have to pay for the hosting (which is quality hosting, anyway)

Share your thoughts.
  • Hi,
    I can host 1000 domains on OVH and have 250GB...
    I have 1 domain and less than 1GB, so I can share some space with FP without any problems...

However I'm going to change plan in October (this one is "pro" and was given to me, I would change to "perso") so I don't know yet if the things will change... It seems I will have the same number but 100GB of space instead of 250GB, however the purpose would be still valid.

If your problem is spam... well I would change Forum software, maybe some problems would be solved. I don't know if it is better changing to some traditional software (like phpBB) or some cloud software. The latter would have lots of functionalities (forum, wiki, file hosting...). I don't know which one.
    Or maybe a software like Trac...

About contributing... What do you mean?
    I think GitHub for FOSS is better, because it has no limits of users. BitBucket is better for private repos: they're unlimited, like public ones, but the free version supports only 5 users per repository.

However I would keep a plugin/themes repository for users: if they disappear, as it happened some times, their contribution gets lost, in this way it wouldn't. There aren't problems with distribution as plugins are all GNU GPL (or compatible) and the themes should be, too.
  • Hi,
    I can host 1000 domains on OVH and have 250GB...
    I have 1 domain and less than 1GB, so I can share some space with FP without any problems...

However I'm going to change plan in October (this one is "pro" and was given to me, I would change to "perso") so I don't know yet if the things will change... It seems I will have the same number but 100GB of space instead of 250GB, however the purpose would be still valid.
    I've just received a mail from the A2 guy I usually speak to, A2 is happy to continue hosting us. That's cool :)
    If your problem is spam... well I would change Forum software, maybe some problems would be solved. I don't know if it is better changing to some traditional software (like phpBB) or some cloud software. The latter would have lots of functionalities (forum, wiki, file hosting...). I don't know which one.
    Or maybe a software like Trac...
    I don't really like Trac. Besides, it is mostly just a wiki with integrated bug tracking. Bug tracking is something that GitHub would do well.

I would prefer to move to a hosted forum solution with integrated spam checking, that would make management easier, but I don't know of any

About contributing... What do you mean?
    I think GitHub for FOSS is better, because it has no limits of users. BitBucket is better for private repos: they're unlimited, like public ones, but the free version supports only 5 users per repository.

well, GitHub would probably be fine for us. I mean that with GitHub or BB is easy to fork and submit patches from contributors.

However I would keep a plugin/themes repository for users: if they disappear, as it happened some times, their contribution gets lost, in this way it wouldn't. There aren't problems with distribution as plugins are all GNU GPL (or compatible) and the themes should be, too.

that could be an idea. But then we would still need some way to browse the repository. And then, it might be less convient for a theme developer to share stuff via Git. 

My problem with Git is that it is not so convenient on Windows. Although I do have a Mac now, I do not forget about our fellow Windows users.

• Its nice to hear that A2 has extended their support for flatpress. Also the move to Github should massively improve the flapress script as lots of people will get involved.
  • So whats up with the GitHub scenario? When will be the repository be up?
  • I've been away for the last week on holiday, I think I'll set everything up by the end of September tops
  • Do setup everything as soon as possible, this should make flatpress development more rapid.
  • OK, late on visiting the forum as usual...

To get rid of spam you should install a decent spam protection software.

Although there are lots of alternatives around I'd like to point towards ZB Block which in my (biased) oppinion is one of the better alternatives for any PHP-based forum/blog/etc...

Forget about CAPTCHA's though, bots solves them these days.

Does the GitHub repo mean the SF one is depreciated now btw?
  • Hi macmathan,

I am sure that NoWhereMan will update the sourceforge repo when he authors the GitHub repo.

• not really, from now on SF becomes deprecated in favor of GitHub. It doesn't really make sense to manage two repositories
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion