Introduce yourself here! In order to avoid spam, new users must first comment on the discussion in the 'Introductions' before they become 'full members'
Flatpress Categories Numberer
  • Hey guys. I have just started blogging with Flatpress and solved one of my problems with it by creating a script to tell me what my next category number should be during category creation.

Link
  • Just leave the box empty and Flatpress will use the next unused number.

• LAttilaD said:

Just leave the box empty and Flatpress will use the next unused number.

This doesn't work for me. I tried
    test
    test :

and neither worked. What am I missing? I keep getting the notice: Category IDs must be strictly positive (0 is not allowed)
  • What do you mean „test test”? Let’s redo the situation.
    1. Click Categories.
    2. Click Create New Category.
    3. The Create New Category dialog appears. Enter test. Leave the number as it is. Click Ok.
    What happens now?

• LAttilaD said:

What do you mean „test test”? Let’s redo the situation.

1. Click Categories.
    2. Click Create New Category.
    3. The Create New Category dialog appears. Enter test. Leave the number as it is. Click Ok.
    What happens now?

Okay, so that is where we differ. I am going in Entries -> Manage Categories and doing it that way.

How are you getting to "Categories"?
  • Sorry, it’s Manage Categories (graphically). Now I set my install back to English and that’s the name.
  • LAttilaD said:

Sorry, it’s Manage Categories (graphically). Now I set my install back to English and that’s the name.

Is that under Entries -> Manage categories?
  • that is a plugin
  • that is a plugin

I see. Well glad to know I am not a 100% complete moron.
  • Or me! That had me wondering too.

Incidentally you don't need to stick with consecutive numbers when you create your categories manually - I often use 1000, 2000, 3000 etc. so I can add intermediate numbers for subcategories later. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

• Stanley said:

Incidentally you don't need to stick with consecutive numbers when you create your categories manually - I often use 1000, 2000, 3000 etc. so I can add intermediate numbers for subcategories later. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Sure wish I'd known about that several years ago!!  I always thought the numbers had to be consecutive.
  • It’s not very difficult to change numbering. A simple script can go along the blog and replace old category numbers with new ones.
  • Stanley said:

Incidentally you don't need to stick with consecutive numbers when you create your categories manually - I often use 1000, 2000, 3000 etc. so I can add intermediate numbers for subcategories later. 

exactly. It's only the little OCPD that's in all of us which wants numbers to be consecutive. It's unnecessary, they're just IDs
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion