Introduce yourself here! In order to avoid spam, new users must first comment on the discussion in the 'Introductions' before they become 'full members'
Example of Hyperpage & Static Entry plugins working together
  • You'll need to log in with "demo" and "password" to view this, but it shows how to construct complex static pages by including the titles and content from entries in a static page - only in this case it's in one of LAttilaD's hyper-pages which allows you to break a single static page up into table of contents and chapters/sections.

http://demofppb.us2uk.eu/?x=entry:entry120922-102257

The link above is the description of how it was done and shows you how the static page was coded - the working example itself can be seen by clicking the link you'll see about half-way down the page.

The working example itself describes the Static Entry plugin in more detail - and lists a few advantages and problems I've found. It's perfect for what I want to use it for (creating and maintaining large content in small chunks by a small team using Live Writer), but it doesn't work quite so well if you use the BBCode editor in the admin panel to create your posts (it currently won't decode BBCode, which isn't a problem for Live Writer-generated entries as these use HTML tags to format the content).

• I'm still playing around with the static entry plugin but one thing I've just discovered it's GREAT for is if you create a blockparser widget from a static page which contains an entry. I created an index to a particular group of static pages using Live Writer, posted it, then included that entry in a static page which I enabled as a blockparser and placed in my side bar.

This means that I can now update my side bar blockparser content using Live Writer.

I needed to add a class to hide the entry heading when used in this way - ordinarily the entry heading is displayed as an H4 heading in the static page in which it's been included, so you need to add a small rule to your theme's style sheet to hide this heading if you don't need it. There's a brief description of how I did this in the case of the blockparser example, at the link below.

I'll probably add this to the wiki soon but here's an advance copy and a bit better description of it, in case anyone wants to try it out:

http://flatpress.georgi.co.uk/?x=entry:entry120923-205719

I should add that there's nothing remotely clever about the way this plugin works - it just uses the custom BBCode example from the FP wiki to add the [inc]$content[/inc] tags and basic PHP functions to read the entry file and return the content, so it's very easy to understand and tweak as you wish.

I don't see any security issues with the way it works - it will only read an entry file and return the content so people can't just include any file they wish, but all feedback is welcome before I add it to the wiki. Perhaps my coding is a little sloppy - there may be a better way to code this plugin.

Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion