Introduce yourself here! In order to avoid spam, new users must first comment on the discussion in the 'Introductions' before they become 'full members'
And that's why I had chosen MooTools in the first place
  • Too bad everybody develops for jQuery.

(to be fair, this is a post from 2009)
  • I'm a copy and paster not a scripter but I've had problems getting some things working using mootools too (specifically with IE7), so what he says in the last couple of paragraphs strikes a chord with me.

I've just hit a problem with jQuery which seems to stop my new plugin working correctly (a scrolling version of the lastentries plugin). My workaround was to add the link to v1.4.4 into the jQuery plugin but that stops the widget panel from working - I'm currently manually editing the jQuery plugin file if I want to use the widget panel.

Curious thing was that everything worked perfectly on my wamp setup using the standard FP jQuery plugin, but the scroller stopped on the 2nd item when I tried it on my host's server.

• I've read quickly the article...
    However everybody knows that Internet Explorer has alway been a stupid browser, especially the 6th version.
    I think that some controls had to be added because Internex Explorer's behaviour doesn't follow the standards.

I proposed to change JS Utils and use jQuery insted because the FP's version of Mootools was the 1.1.
    I needed a script because I'm not a js programmer but there weren't for Mootools 1.1. There were some plugins for mootools 1.2, so I've tried to upgrade the FP Mootools to version 1.2 and I've also updated the widget script. It seemed that it worked but when I've made it for the second time it didn't work anymore.

Some time ago Lantaca asked me to port jwysiwyg to FP but it wasn't possibile - FP used Mootools and using the compatibility mode meant too much JS Libraries. And so I ported the widget script to jQuery: it was easier, they didin't change important APIs with upgrades and the community was bigger.
    So I've proposed to change in the default distribution of FP.

> (to be fair, this is a post from 2009)
    It's quite like saying: "Flatpress had an authentication bug for two years, so I won't use it." ;-)

• It's quite like saying: "Flatpress had an authentication bug for two years, so I won't use it." ;-)

well, no. It's more like saying "FlatPress was written like sh*t at the time, so I chose something else; then I switched to FlatPress 2 years later because it was more supported"

It is reasonable to expect that all that bad code has changed in the meantime. I remember a JS-library showdown in which jQuery was clearly the slowest; so I chose MooTools. It was one of the fastest.

so I ported the widget script to jQuery: it was easier, they didin't change important APIs with upgrades and the community was bigger.

and that's why I endorsed this choice.

Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion