Introduce yourself here! In order to avoid spam, new users must first comment on the discussion in the 'Introductions' before they become 'full members'
Problem with flatpress installer
  • Hello all,

I am trying to install flatpress on a server providing PHP Version 5.2.9.
    I copied the files on the server and modified the permissions of the fp-content subdir (and the file delete.me therein).
    EDIT: I tried also to grant 0777 permissions to the full flatpress directory (recursively) without any change.

When I connect the the site I get the FlatPress Installer page and when I hit the Next button the page seems to load something but then it does not change. So it does not matter how many times I hit the Next button, I am still stuck on the starting page.

Do you know what can be the problem?

Thank you in advance for any help!
  • First question: Apache or IIS?

Then, rerun the setup and tell us, if you see at first setup dialog (Flatpress expermiental...) an hint, that your access rights are not set. Use Flatpress 0.909.1 to see this hint.

How do you transfered the Flatpress files to your webspace? Do you have FTP access? If so, you can use Filezilla to change the access rights recursive. Filezilla can this only on Apache (Linux servers), on IIS it don't work.
  • Hello laborix, thanks for the answer.

The server is apache (scientific linux 4 + Apache 2).
    The directory with the files is on an afs space that I can access directly with a terminal (I am in linux btw) and I changed the file permissions by hand doing "chmod -R 0777 flatpress".

I am using version 0.909.1 and the main page I get is:
    ------------------
    FlatPress Installer (experimental)

Welcome to FlatPress

Thank you for choosing FlatPress!
    Before you can start having fun with your brand new blog, we have to ask you a very few questions.
    Don't worry, it won't take you long!
    The only thing you need for FlatPress to work is a writable directory.
    Please make this directory writable before you continue.
    fp-content/
    ------------------

Could it be that some additional permissions are to be set?
    For example the .htaccess file?
  • the installer is quite clear:

The only thing you need for FlatPress to work is a writable directory.
    Please make this directory writable before you continue.
    fp-content/

did permission change at all after you chmod'ed fp-content ? (ls -l)

AFS implements ACLs as long as this wikipedia page is correct; which means (I guess) you should probably set additional grants; maybe you have to target the webserver user; ask your system administrator

HTH
  • NoWhereMan you are right!

I changed the local permissions but not the afs ones. After granting the afs permissions (fs sa fp-content system:anyuser lrwid) it worked.

Thank you very much!

Now I have another problem. When I navigate in the administrative pages I usually get many errors. For example on the "Write Entry" page I get:
    Notice: SmartyValidate: [validate plugin] form 'default' is not registered. in /afs/.../www/flatpress/fp-includes/smarty/plugins/function.validate.php on line 46

Notice: SmartyValidate: [validate plugin] form 'default' is not registered. in /afs/.../www/flatpress/fp-includes/smarty/plugins/function.validate.php on line 46

but I am still able to write the post (I inserted the "..." part to replace the full path).

If I try to delete it though, I get:
    Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /afs/.../www/flatpress/fp-includes/core/core.fpdb.class.php on line 790

Furthermore, if I try to edit a post I get the "Write Entry" page with an empty text box. If I publish it will be a totally new post.

Do you think this might still be related to some permission problem or maybe it is related to the PHP version?
  • Hm, it is long time ago I set up Apache. Are you the admin of this server (you mentioned console)?

Apache should have access to the www root and should not run as root. PHP needs a session dir with write access, if nothing is there, you don't get Flatpress work. I'm testing Flatpress on Apache 1.3/2.0 and IIS 6/7 and 7.5. PHP 5.2.x and 5.3.x work if the php.ini have the right settings. The session dir is most important for Apache and IIS.
  • I am not the admin of the server, I only have direct access to the dir containing the files via terminal.

Just another bit of information: if I open the Options screen I get again the
    repeated 10 times.
    I will try to have a look at the code (although I still don't know PHP).
  • please try and download the SVN version of FlatPress, I think it should fix most of your problems; also, disable notices (search the forum for "SmartyValidate")
  • Thank you very much NoWhereMan,

taking the svn version solved all the problems. I can edit an entry and I don't get any warning or error in the admin pages.

Thanks for all the help!
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion