Introduce yourself here! In order to avoid spam, new users must first comment on the discussion in the 'Introductions' before they become 'full members'
Spammers posting on this forum
  • I've seen a couple of spammers recently - this is the latest one...

... and here's an earlier one

Is there any way to tighten up on how people sign up? From memory I don't think there was any need to click a link in a confirmation email, I just filled in the form and could start posting.

It might be good idea to have a "Report Spam" link on each post, but I don't know if Vanilla lets you do that?
  • @NoWhereMan:
    You should use the current version! They released Vanilla 2.0 a few days ago.
    Maybe this solves the problem.
  • I've took care of the bad guys...bear with me while I'm still on holiday ;)
  • I'm trying to migrate to Vanilla 2 but the importer tool is not working
  • Posted By: NoWhereManI'm trying to migrate to Vanilla 2 but the importer tool is not working

I looked at Vanilla 2 a while back - I preferred the version you're currently using, to be honest. I don't think it allowed HTML in posts, for one thing, though they may have in the final version. It's only "plus point" (for me) seemed to be the single sign-up capability of it.
  • Posted By: StanleyI don't think it allowed HTML in posts, for one thing, though they may have in the final version.

there is an html purifier module, so I guess it does; btw neither "vanilla" vanilla allows html in posts, it is an extension ;)
  • ok, I can do the import, but locally because the PHP5 on this server is too old (and buggy). So I'm not installing it (for now) because it would probably bug in some other ways.
  • Grrrr.....

http://flatpress.org/vanilla2/discussion/1285/comprehensive-analysis-of-cdn-technology-/p1

Maybe it would it be a good idea if you started a sticky "report spam" thread (though a "Report as Spam" link on each post would seem better).

I don't know if this will help at all... I don't think it's quite what I had in mind, but it might help you to manage things from an administrative point of view.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/593/vanilla-antispam
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion